Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Beet hummus




When my parents visited last weekend, my mom brought me the last of her garden--a bag full of beets, a big spaghetti squash, several acorn squash, another bag full of kale, and so on. Because we're getting ready to undertake our annual Holiday Drive Across America, I needed to use up all those beets.

This beet hummus is inspired. Tastes like regular hummus, only, you know, with beets. It was amazing with homemade pita bread--recipe for that tomorrow--and as a bonus, I peed purple the next morning.

4 medium beets, roasted, peeled, and roughly chopped
2 tablespoons tahini
juice and zest of one big lemon
1 small garlic clove (really, just one; more than one will be unpleasantly garlicky)
1 tablespoon cumin
Salt to taste

Puree. Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment