Saturday, March 3, 2012

Crockpot minestrone



Can you tell I've been busy lately? I love my crockpot!

I also have a new job--one that will involve a hefty commute, and a lot of hard work and training, but I'm excited. It's the next step in this new restaurant career. But I'll be working more than usual in the coming weeks, so I suspect my crockpot will get even more use.

Crockpot minestrone is less an actual recipe than a repository of whatever you have on hand. Don't have green beans? Use peas or greens or frozen spinach instead. Don't have zucchini? Leave it out. And so on.

1 onion, chopped
1 celery rib, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
Two handfuls of frozen green beans
1 1/2 cups pre-cooked white beans (or 1 can)
1 14.5 oz can tomatoes, with juice (or the equivalent amount of spaghetti sauce)
1 zucchini, chopped
6 cups broth
Cooked pasta
Pesto

Put 1 tablespoon olive oil, along with the onion, celery, carrot and garlic, into the crockpot. Cover and set on High while prepping everything else. Add everything else (except the cooked pasta and pesto) and cook on Low for  7-8 hours.

Add in some cooked pasta, maybe a couple of handfuls, and swirl in a spoonful of pesto. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment