Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Leek and swiss chard tart


The eat-out-of-the-pantry-and-not-buy-groceries initiative continues. The pantry is starting to look bare in places, and I'm forced to become increasingly creative, but I'm still reasonably sure I can stretch this out all the way up to the wedding--meaning we can leave with the refrigerator bare, and restock fully upon our return. (And boy, it will be FULLY.) The biweekly CSA box of veggies helps tremendously. Otherwise we wouldn't have any fresh fruits or veggies at all right now.

So when I picked up Sunday's box, I happily set about making a week's worth of salads and inventorying what I could make with the rest. Last night I made a leek and swiss chard tart, using a few sheets of phyllo dough for the crust (I was out of puff pastry, but you could use that, as well). The recipe is super-simple; slice and saute the leeks in a little butter until they're soft (10 minutes) and then add a few chopped leaves of chard. You can chop and add the stems as well. Mix 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream with four eggs in a separate bowl with salt and pepper and a bit of nutmeg. Stir the veggies in, pour that into a pie pan with your crust of choice, and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. Lower the temp to 350 and cook for another 15 minutes. If you use phyllo dough, like I did, brush a little soft butter or egg yolk on the exposed parts of the dough--otherwise it will turn really brown, almost burnt, at 425. It's like a super-veggie quiche. Serves two adults as a main course.

No comments:

Post a Comment