Saturday, August 27, 2011

Hurricane




As Hurricane Irene barrels up the East Coast, I'm in the middle of my hurricane prep. I've lived through hurricanes before, and we're far enough north so that our biggest problem will most likely be lost power. I'm moving all the pots from the container garden inside, along with the patio furniture, and picking every tomato that might even think about being ripe; making more bread and freezing more water; and filling every available container with water, just in case. We've got plenty of candles, games and wine, so we should be fine.

In honor of the occasion, what better drink to pass the waiting game than a Hurricane?

The classic Hurricane recipe is:

1 oz each vodka
gin
light rum
151 rum
amaretto
triple sec
grapefruit juice
pineapple juice
grenadine

And the New Orleans variation is:
light rum
dark rum
151 rum
OJ
pineapple juice
grenadine

But I don't have half that stuff, so I make mine as so:

golden rum
dark rum
maraschino cherry juice
OJ
sour mix (lemon juice and simple syrup, mixed)
a wee bit of sugar

Shake and serve over ice. Watch The Weather Channel obsessively while consuming.

No comments:

Post a Comment