Saturday, January 12, 2013

The Great Trek West, Part 3: Missouri



Otherwise entitled, "Mark Twain, the Berlin Wall, and barbecue."

I've spent the last few days holed up at my in-laws' in central Missouri, reunited (at last!) with my husband and preparing for the rest of the trek. I got the car serviced this morning, I've stocked up on road food, and we've got an itinerary mapped out.

(For those that are curious, the itinerary looks something like this: Denver, southern Utah--to include all the national parks there and Mesa Verde in southwestern Colorado, Salt Lake City, Portland, and then Seattle, over the course of a week. The weather looks clear, and I'm super-excited about revisiting Utah.)

But while here, we've done a little sightseeing, too. We went to the National Churchill Museum in Fulton, MO, where I got this great picture of my husband pretending to piss on a piece of the Berlin Wall.




We also visited Mark Twain's boyhood home and museum in Hannibal, MO. Hannibal itself is a dump, though the Mark Twain stuff was fairly interesting. We had a nice long drive through Missouri farmland, too.

And I've eaten possibly the last authentic barbecue for a while (I can't imagine there's proper Southern barbecue in Seattle, I've yet to find any outside the South) at Lonnie Ray's, a real dive in the middle of nowhere, but that doesn't matter, as they have a proper char on both their pulled pork and brisket.


We'll leave Monday for Denver, and hopefully arrive in Seattle by next Sunday or Monday. Stay tuned for the REALLY exciting part of the drive!

No comments:

Post a Comment