Sunday, August 4, 2013

Vacation aftermath




It's always a little disconcerting, coming home from vacation. I feel like my true self, when I'm having adventures. Returning to a routine after that just feels...routine. But we're all just working for the weekend, right?

This week has been especially disorienting, since I returned home to a whole pile of bad news. Not just dealing with the car's broken windshield, either; my mother-in-law is facing a whole new battle with cancer, and I'm down one job. While I was away, I was scheduled right out of my day job. It's probably for the best: working two jobs, 16 hours a day on my feet, was exhausting. I was tired and cranky all the time, and it's not a stretch to suppose that my customers (and my husband) were not being treated to my best self. The loss of income is worrying, but it was nice not being in physical pain all week.

So, I'm not sure yet whether I'll try to find a new day job. For a little while, at least, I'll work just the one job and get back to cooking more. My husband had a great phone interview last week, and we're waiting to hear whether that will lead to further interviews.

Historically, I've never been good with a limbo situation. But right now, one day at a time feels right. So, one day at a time. Today: make some tomato sauce, enjoy the sunshine. Tomorrow: an actual recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment