Monday, December 14, 2009

Butternut squash pizza

This was, hands-down, one of the best pizzas I've ever made.


I made two variations: one with roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions, and goat cheese. I covered a pizza crust with olive oil, added the onions (cooked down for about half an hour, with a bit of balsamic vinegar), added the roasted butternut squash on top, cut up into little squares, and spread around two big handfuls of goat cheese. This was my favorite of the two. My better half raved about it, and he's not one to rave about squash.


The second variation involved roasted butternut squash, caramelized onions, ricotta/parmesan/mozzarella (the standard pizza cheese trio; I'd used up all the goat cheese), lots of baby sage, and bacon.


The winning combo would of course be the first pizza, with bacon. The second one was pretty awesome, too, but I really really liked the goat cheese.


Proof positive that pizza can be a repository for all sorts of leftovers! Even butternut squash.

1 comment:

  1. This scrumptious recipe is worth cleaning out my pizza oven for! I can hardly wait 'til this weekend to try it out.

    ReplyDelete