Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Caprese with bresaola



Even though I had all the ingredients for this--against all odds--it never occurred to me to make this until I had most of the stuff out on the counter for a completely different purpose.

Normally, I never have out-of-season tomatoes around. But yesterday, after a brief Costco run (where I procured both the bresaola and mozzarella, in addition to eggs and milk and cream and other unsexy things), I ran by the little produce shop near my apartment building. You know, the one where I got 6 peppers for $1? I got six peppers for $1, again, plus a bag of six soft tomatoes for $1, plus a bunch of other stuff (leeks, mustard greens, beets, apples, garlic, parsley, cilantro, and basil).

The tomatoes aren't great--they're soft and virtually tasteless, since they're out-of-season. I got them for a curry, and then realized, hey! I have tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil! I can make caprese salad for dinner! And then, hey! I also have bresaola! I'll throw that into the mix!

Bresaola is dried cured beef, sliced thin. Prosciutto would work well, too.

Stack in this order: tomato slice, piece of bresaola, mozzarella slice, large basil leaf. Drizzle good olive oil and balsamic vinegar over the top, and add a bit of good salt and pepper.

Like I said, the tomatoes weren't great. But everything else was delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment