Friday, November 4, 2011

Anatomy of a CSA box


It's hard to believe that in a couple of weeks, I will no longer be getting a CSA box on a regular basis.

Apparently no one in RI offers a winter CSA, so once my current one runs out, I'll be on my own until the spring. This doesn't sound like a big deal, until you realize it will be the first time since starting this blog that I'll be CSA-less.

And as you know, a great deal of this blog revolves around discovering new and interesting things to do with CSA veggies. Plus, I've completely gotten out of the habit of regular grocery shopping. I only go once, maybe twice a month, to stock up on pantry items; I haven't bought fresh fruits or veggies on a regular basis since...well, since leaving New York.

So it'll be an interesting journey for all of us!

Anyway, yesterday I picked up one of the last CSA boxes, and it was a big one. Here's what I got:

9 pears
4 big potatoes
9 sweet potatoes
1 big leek
2 heads of chard
1 head of kale
1 cabbage
1 head of green lettuce
2 celery roots

In the coming days, I'll be writing about how I've utilized all those things. Keep in mind I'll also be using the things I got at Venda the other day; dry-aged steak, veal osso buco, proscuitto, cheese, etc., and of course using all the regular pantry stuff.

Because tomorrow is my birthday, I can already tell you that the birthday dinner will be grilled steak with bearnaise sauce, fried potatoes, and a good bottle of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment