Sunday, November 6, 2011

Birthday summary

I had to work a double on my birthday.

I also got fired on my birthday.

Those two things, however, are not related.

Here's the story: I love the restaurant I'm working at in my new city. I'm hoping to get more shifts there in a couple of weeks, but because it's so small, I have to wait for one of the other four waiters to give up shifts. So I'm usually available if one of them wants a night off.

They asked me on Friday if I could work Saturday night, in addition to my already-scheduled brunch shift on Saturday. I didn't really want to, seeing as how Saturday was my birthday, but I found out Saturday morning I had to, because no one else was available. Fine, I like money, they threw in a bottle of wine to sweeten the deal and let me off early last night, which was very nice of them.

However, somewhere in the middle of all that, my other job called me. The upscale pizza/wine bar in my old city, that I've been driving 40 minutes each way to a few times a week, trying to make a little more money before I got more shifts at the new restaurant. I've been wanting to quit there for a while, it's often not worth it to make the drive, but I was trying to wait until the last possible minute to do so.

So old job called me, wanting me to come in Saturday night as well. "Can't, sorry," I said, "my other job called me in, too."

I thought that was the end of the story, until I was checking my online schedule last night--and discovered my account had been deleted.

That's how they fired me--they didn't actually TELL me I was fired, they just reassigned all my shifts for next week and deleted my account from the online scheduling app.

"Screw 'em," said my husband, "you were going to quit anyway."

"True," I said, "but my goodness, how tacky."

However, it's still better than working in an office.

I'm back for another double today--perhaps tomorrow I'll actually be able to celebrate my birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment