Tuesday, March 15, 2011

I have sprouts!


My arugula has sprouted!


So has the kale.



Most exciting of all, my tomatoes!

I also have definite activity from the spinach and catgrass. So far none of the pepper seeds have sprouted, or any of the herbs. I don't know if that's bad, or if that's normal.

I've rigged up a very low-tech heating and lighting system in the sunroom for the tomato and pepper seeds. Namely, a heated mattress pad under them, with two space heaters at either end of the blanket, blowing inward. They're set at 75 degrees, so now the entire sunroom is like a sauna. I also purchased two $10 fluorescent shop lights from Home Depot, and set each on a stack of bricks just above the seeds. I keep them on about 16 hours a day. I'm hoping this low-tech system will provide the appropriate amount of heat and light. If any experienced gardeners have any suggestions, please chime in!

Next weekend (if the weather holds) I'll dig out a garden patch in the yard and plant the cold-weather crops: more spinach, kale and arugula, along with chard, beets, cauliflower, peas and cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment