Monday, May 9, 2011

Zucchini-potato frittata

This recipe proves the awesomeness of a good cast-iron skillet.

It was the perfect frittata--light on the inside, crusty on the outside, full of cheesy veggie goodness. I threw in lots of bacon, too. When I ate the first bite, I detected a faint aura of maple. "Hmmmm," I thought, "there isn't any maple in this. And there isn't any sugar to caramelize. I wonder where that maple flavor is coming from?" The mystery maple flavor was much more pronounced along the crust.

Then I remembered a batch of maple-cured bacon I'd made in that pan.

The ghost of that bacon had come back to haunt my frittata.

In the best possible way, of course.

I used this recipe from The Kitchn, adapted below:

2 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, sliced

Salt
4-5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or more as needed
3 waxy potatoes, thinly sliced
1/2 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 pound bacon
6 eggs
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup grated Cheddar

Get out your good cast-iron skillet, and fry up some bacon.



Remove the bacon (leaving the bacon grease) and saute the onions and potatoes in that for several minutes, until the potatoes are soft. Remove the potatoes, add a little more bacon fat, and saute the zucchini.

Meanwhile mix the eggs and cheese together in a bowl. Add the potatoes and zucchini, with salt and pepper, along with the crumbled-up bacon strips you cooked earlier, and mix. Add a little more bacon fat to the pan, and pour everything back into it. Let cook for 10 minutes over medium-low, without stirring, so the eggs can set. Slide the whole thing into the oven.




Bake at 350 another 10-15 minutes, or until not jiggly in the middle.

Look how yummy that is:



See all the nice potato layers?




One more time:




I'm definitely going to be doing more things with potatoes and eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment