Friday, February 24, 2012

The Brisket


Made correctly, this drink will taste like barbecue.

Seriously! One of the bartenders at work came up with this concoction, so I can't take credit. But I was so enamored of the final result that I attempted to recreate it at home.

My home version was very tasty--but alas, did not taste just like barbecue.

Here's the original recipe:

1 1/2 oz Ron Zacapa rum
1/2 oz Laphroig scotch
1/4 oz black tea simple syrup
tiki bitters

While I didn't have either Zacapa or Laphroig specifically, I did have an aged golden rum and some scotch. The black tea simple syrup was easy enough (equal parts sugar and water, heated and stirred until the sugar dissolves, add black tea bags to steep until it cools); tiki bitters I don't have, but the flavoring is heavily cinnamon and nutmeg, so I thought to improvise with fresh cinnamon and nutmeg. I even added some liquid smoke (since Jura scotch is more funky/peaty than smoky, like Laphroig).

A very tasty drink. But stick to the original recipe if you want it to taste like barbecue.

No comments:

Post a Comment