Saturday, September 8, 2012

Homemade mustard



As I'm working my way through the weird stuff in my pantry (next up: star anise), I'm discovering new and exciting ways to use all of these things. A bag of mustard seeds = homemade Dijon mustard.

While I was grocery-shopping this week, I discovered my local grocery store is now stocking fresh rabbit. Naturally I bought one. I perused a bunch of rabbit recipes, and narrowed it down to recipes involving only things I already have (i.e., I didn't want to have to buy anything else in order to cook the rabbit). The winner: rabbit with mustard sauce, which I will cook tonight.

But I only had regular yellow kiddie mustard, no more Dijon/whole-grain mustard. I did have mustard seeds, white wine vinegar, and white wine. So I've made my own mustard for this rabbit.

No surprise, it tastes better than the store-bought stuff. I may have to start doing this on a regular basis.

Added bonus: it takes almost no effort.

1/4 cup mustard seeds
1/4 dry white wine (I used dry vermouth instead)
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
pinch of salt

Combine everything in a non-reactive bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let sit at room temperature for 2 days. Puree (keeping in mind this will never achieve a perfectly smooth consistency). Refrigerate for up to three months.

No comments:

Post a Comment