Monday, September 10, 2012

Rabbit with mustard sauce



The other day I discovered my local Stop n' Shop now stocks fresh rabbit. Intrigued, I bought one. (Cost: $20.) It was a good-sized whole rabbit, with giblets.

I determined to make rabbit with mustard sauce, or lapin a la moutarde. First I had to make my own mustard. Then I carved the rabbit into its various pieces, and marinated the pieces in the mustard.

Verdict: farmed rabbit isn't nearly as gamy as wild rabbit. Very lean, too. (In fact wild rabbit has no fat at all.) And delicious! Well worth a $20 splurge. My hubby and I cracked a good bottle of wine and had a civilized dinner, with conversation and everything.

1/3 cup Dijon mustard
Fresh thyme
Salt and pepper
Olive oil
1 chopped shallot
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup heavy cream (optional)
Fresh parsley, chives, tarragon, and/or chervil
2 to 3 drops fresh lemon juice

Coat the rabbit pieces with the mustard, and sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper. Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven, and brown the rabbit 5 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, and add the shallot. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned. Add the chicken stock, wine, and cream, and bring to a boil, scraping up the browned bits. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. Return the rabbit to the pan, cover, and cook gently until tender but still moist, 45 minutes.

Remove the rabbit from the sauce, and strain the sauce. Return the sauce to the pan, bring to a boil over high heat, and cook until it's reduced to about 2 cups, about 6 minutes. Add fresh chopped herbs, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. Spoon the sauce around the rabbit pieces and serve immediately (maybe with some egg noodles).


No comments:

Post a Comment