Sunday, September 16, 2012

Lemony lentil salad



Typically, I work Saturday nights and then a Sunday double. Rather than drive an hour home, and an hour back, between 1 am Saturday (when I get off work) and 9 am Sunday (when I have to be back at work), I'll just crash with a friend of mine in Boston. That means I spend a minimum of 36 hours away from home, which means I bring a lot of food with me. Lentil salad is one of my favorite things to pack--it doesn't have to be refrigerated, tastes good at room temperature, and provides much-needed protein.

1 cup dried lentils
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
2 lemons
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon capers
1/4 cup minced chives
Salt and pepper

Put the lentils in a saucepan, cover with water, and add the garlic and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until tender.

Juice the lemons and put in a bowl along with the olive oil, capers, and chives. When the lentils are done, drain them, and add them hot to the dressing. Stir to combine with salt and pepper, and let sit. Serve warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Post a Comment