Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Summer's over


We're back from our week in New Orleans, and I'm already missing it. 85 degrees and sunny all week, amazing food, and best of all, I wasn't working. It's a bit disconcerting to be peeling off my sunburn when it's 47 degrees and raining outside.

I'll recap the trip for everyone tomorrow. When we got home, I realized that summer is indeed completely over. Not only are all the trees changing color here in New England (with nights in the 40s), but all my tomato plants are dead. So I spent yesterday ripping them out, saving all the green tomatoes for future use.

The container garden yielded a pretty good amount of tomatoes, considering they were in pots; I got a good handful of ripe cherry tomatoes every day for six weeks or so. The herbs were less successful; not sure why. Last winter's windowsill herb garden was also lackluster. I think I'll skip it this year, since we're still in a position where we may have to move at any second. I cut the last of the mint and hung it to dry.

Next year's garden? I guess that will depend on where we are (could be anywhere, really), and how much room we have. I'll keep you posted.

For the record, although I'm glad I didn't have to work as hard on this garden as last year's, I missed having 47,000 pounds of ripe tomatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment