Saturday, May 8, 2010

Cookbook review: Real Cajun


By now, I'm sure you've all figured out that I have a soft spot for Cajun and Creole food. If New Orleans had any kind of infrastructure, I would move there in a heartbeat. (And then get enormously fat.) But as it stands, I enjoy things like regular garbage pickup and an uncorrupted police presence, so I remain in California. Fortunately my sister lives near there, so I can visit to my heart's content.

Real Cajun ($23.10 at Amazon) is IMHO one of the top two Cajun cookbooks on the market. (The other is Cooking Up a Storm, reviewed earlier.) This one is much more visually appealing, however. And the recipes have great stories to go along with them. Best of all, the recipes aren't filled with weird hard-to-find ingredients. Well, fresh seafood may be hard to find at times, but outside of that, I mean. In fact, I'm using a derivation of the seafood gumbo recipe in here for the seafood gumbo at my wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment