Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Cookbook review: The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches



The Encyclopedia of Sandwiches is, well, just that. It's a chunky little book (one step removed from a board book) with recipes and pictures for every kind of sandwich imaginable, from Dagwoods to fluffernutters to po' boys to Sloppy Joes.

Now, I'm not a connoisseur of sandwiches or anything. I rarely have sandwich ingredients hanging around--I refuse to buy loaf bread, cold cuts, pre-sliced cheese, or any of the other garbage that masquerades as sandwich fare in grocery stores. And since I don't eat out that often, my sandwich intake is far below most people's. That doesn't mean I don't enjoy a good sandwich--particularly a po' boy, or perhaps a really good grilled cheese made with leftover stinky cheese. I'm heartened that this book pays attention to the bahn mis and Croque Monsieurs of the world, and isn't just filled with cold cuts.

If you're like my dad, for whom "lunch" is synonymous with "sandwich," this book is for you--especially if it breaks you out of the white bread-mayo-bologna-cheese rut.




No comments:

Post a Comment