Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pea and ricotta tart




First, here's a story about my high school drama teacher.

I adapted this recipe from Food 52. I didn't have half the ingredients in the original recipe; and I realized that my old springform pan needs to be replaced and is probably not up to snuff. Then I removed the tart before the center was completely done, meaning the liquid center oozed out all over the done part. I had to transfer the goo to a pie pan and finish cooking it in that.

The moral of the story is that you don't need the original recipe, or a springform pan, in order to get a delicious tart.

You just need to make sure it's cooked all the way through before you cut into it.

This is how I made it:

1 tablespoon unsalted butter

1 shallot, finely chopped, about 1/4 cup
2 cups shelled peas (or frozen, thawed)
1 cup whole milk ricotta
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 large eggs
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus extra for sprinkling
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
splash of fresh lemon juice

Saute the shallot in the butter until soft, and add the peas. Saute for another minute and let cool. Puree half of this mixture in your food processor, and add the ricotta and nutmeg. Blend, then add the eggs one at a time and pulse well after each. Transfer to a bowl, and add the rest along with the rest of the peas. Blend, pour into a greased pie pan. Bake at 350 until the center doesn't jiggle any more.

No comments:

Post a Comment