Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Salad, salad, salad


I drove to Virginia this weekend for a funeral.

My grandmother's sister died, and my grandmother was taking it pretty hard. I learned all of my uncles were coming in for the funeral, so because my husband was slated to be out of town anyway and I had nothing better to do, I drove down for the funeral.

First: it was great seeing everyone again, even if it was for a funeral. There were at least 150 people there, and there were lots of people there I hadn't seen in years. Second: next time I decide it's a good idea to drive 10 hours each way for a three-day weekend, slap me.

There was construction along I-95 on Friday, which held me up for a good two hours. But let's not think about that right now, it'll just make my blood pressure rise again. My mom brought me five bags of assorted greenery from her garden: four bags of lettuce and spinach, and another of assorted fresh herbs. So I'll be eating salad all week long.

Which is fine with me, because all that driving sapped my will to cook.

Here are some things around the kitchen that will probably go into one or more salads:

cheese (parm, goat)
apples
dried fruit (cranberries, apricots, currants, blueberries, golden raisins)
nuts (sliced almonds, pistachios, walnuts, pecans, pine nuts)
carrots
cucumbers
tomatoes
maybe celery
bacon
eggs (poached, hardboiled)
croutons

Everything went haywire yesterday at work, further sapping my will to cook.

But I saw a bunny rabbit in my yard last night; it's nice to know that my rabbit diet of salad, salad, salad for the next few days is in good company.

No comments:

Post a Comment