Friday, April 29, 2011

Deconstruction of a CSA box (or two)


It's just barely spring here in Massachusetts, so the CSA boxes haven't quite transitioned out of potatoes and winter greens. Here's what I've done with the haul from the last two weeks, just to give you an idea.

Last week:

1 head of kale
2 cucumbers
1 container of grape tomatoes
1 bag of spinach
3 oranges
2 grapefruit
several potatoes

Cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes: salad
Oranges and grapefruit: juice
Potatoes: added to the growing backlog of potatoes
Kale: haven't used this yet; I'm considering a kale caesar salad for a dinner party I'm having tomorrow night

(I'm also considering grapefruit-Campari sorbet for that same dinner party.)

This week:

1 bunch of collard greens
4 zucchini
1 cucumber
1 box of strawberries
2 bags of peas (one regular, one snap peas)
2 sweet potatoes

Collard greens: unknown
Zucchini: possibly a chocolate-zucchini cake for the dinner party
Cucumber: in a salad
Strawberries: eaten immediately
Peas: I'm considering a pea-bacon risotto later in the week
Sweet potatoes: added to the growing backlog of potatoes

I like the challenge of figuring out new and different ways to make produce disappear every week. Although I'm going to have to get super-creative with the potatoes and sweet potatoes soon.

I'm still working through the four bags of lettuce from my mom's garden she gave me last weekend.

I'm just starting to get herbs of snippable length in my container garden. The chervil has really taken off; the thyme and tarragon are coming along nicely, as are the arugula, sorrel and borage. The spinach and kale haven't really done anything and I'm not sure why.

Tomorrow I'll post about my dinner party menu, and how I arrived at that menu.

1 comment:

  1. One of my biggest fears: committing to a CSA box and get zucchini every week.

    ReplyDelete