Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Couscous salad with kale and feta


I was planning a more elaborate dinner last night, but I got sidetracked.

I killed a snake.

Naturally, after that, I wasn't really thinking about cooking.

I went outside to check on the garden after I got home from work yesterday afternoon, and I let the cats out to play while I did. One was terribly interested in a particular bush, he kept smelling it and dancing all around it, and I ignored it for the first few minutes. But he kept smelling and prancing, and finally I went over there to see what all the fuss was about.

About that time a snake slithered out.

It wasn't big, or poisonous. A little black-and-yellow garter snake of some variety, I imagine. It would have been hard-pressed to swallow anything bigger than a cough drop. Nevertheless, I certainly didn't want it getting inside the house. So I scooped up the cats, deposited them inside, and came back with the hoe. And chopped the snake in two.

Then I ran back inside and called my husband to come home and remove the corpse.

So I wasn't really inspired, dinner-wise.

Anyway, this is pretty simple to throw together. Had I been more inspired, I would have played with the flavors more--added a little mustard and/or vinegar to it, some seasonings, etc. It's just cooked Israeli couscous mixed with chopped kale, crumbled feta cheese, and a little olive oil. Salt and pepper to taste. I put the kale in with the couscous during its final minutes of cooking, then drained both and mixed with the cheese. If you have some black olives, those would be good to throw in. I added some chopped sundried tomatoes, as well.

I didn't get a picture of the salad, either. I did get a picture of the dead snake, but I figured that would be a little off-putting in a blog about food.

No comments:

Post a Comment