Thursday, June 16, 2011

Purslane; or, Tacos de Verdolagas y Huevos

I found purslane at the farmer's market yesterday.



Wait, let me back up. I went to the farmer's market yesterday. This seems unremarkable, but it was the first farmer's market in my area this summer. The very first one. So I went, and bought:

Fresh eggs
2 quarts of fresh strawberries
Mint
Purslane

After I gorged myself on fresh strawberries (small and misshapen, but fresh strawberries taste so much better than the store version; when was the last time you bit into a store strawberry that dripped juice like a peach?), I turned my attention to the purslane.

Purslane is a weed. Literally. But a very tasty one. If you see it growing wild, pick it. It tastes like a cross between arugula and broccoli and okra, and it has the highest concentration of omega-3s of anything on the planet, including fish.

Using my fresh eggs, I whipped up a quick batch of these purslane and egg tacos (or Tacos de Verdolagas y Huevos), and damn. They were really so much better than I thought they would be.



3 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 onion
2 cups purslane, washed and roughly chopped
1/2 large fresh tomato, diced (I used two canned whole tomatoes)
1 jalapeno, diced
1-2 cloves garlic, diced
Tortillas (I used flour, but corn would be better)

Beat the eggs and set aside. Over medium-high heat in a large skillet, saute the onion in the oil for 1-2 minutes. Add the purslane, cook another 2 minutes. Add the tomato, jalapeno and garlic, cook another minute. Push everything to the edges of the pan and add the beaten eggs. Slowly scramble the purslane mixture in with the eggs, until done. Serve on tortillas with salsa and queso fresco or goat cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment