Saturday, June 18, 2011

Strawberry salad with wasabi vinaigrette


It's getting to that time of year where I'm more interested in sitting outside looking at my garden, than I am being inside in the kitchen cooking. Despite an abundance of produce, last night was one of those nights. I just couldn't summon my cooking mojo. So I pulled together a quick dinner of leftover biscuits, the last of the wild boar sausage, and a simple strawberry salad with fresh strawberries.

The salad was just red-leaf lettuce, strawberries, a handful of toasted pecans, and some crumbled goat cheese. But wow, were those fresh strawberries awesome.

For the wasabi vinaigrette:
1/2 teaspoon wasabi paste or powder
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil

Mix the first three together, then slowly drizzle in the olive oil while whisking constantly, to emulsify. Adjust to taste.

The sharp hotness of the wasabi is a perfect foil to the creamy goat cheese and the sweet strawberries. (This vinaigrette also goes really well with any salad featuring avocado.)

No comments:

Post a Comment