Monday, December 26, 2011

Restaurant review: Gracie's, Providence, RI


One of our Christmas presents was a gift certificate to Gracie's, a top restaurant in Providence. It had been a while since we'd had a real night out, just the two of us, having dinner, no one working. 

I'm happy to say it was a great meal. I let them know I was a fellow restaurant worker, on a rare night off, and they lavished me with a good table, an extra course, and a super-attentive staff. And I came away with the inspiration for pickled cranberries.

We got the full-bore seven-course tasting menu, plus wine pairings. (I didn't catch the wine names for the first three courses; sorry.)



First course: Olive-oil poached tuna with capers.



Second course: gnocchi with foraged mushrooms and rabbit confit.




Third course: foie gras! with sugar pumpkin and pickled cranberries.



Fourth course: bacon-wrapped monkfish with crispy leeks. Wine: Domaine Eden Pinot Noir.

Fifth course (no picture): sweetbreads, with quail egg and truffle reduction. Wine: Kermit Lynch Cote du Rhone.




Sixth course: duck, with duck liver and duck heart. Wine: Beronia Rioja.


Seventh course: cheese! With white port! I hadn't had white port in forever. I ran right out and bought some.



Eighth course: root cake (carrots, parsnips, beets) with a Broadbent Rainwater Mediera.

Yes, that was eight courses on a seven-course menu. Every once in a while, working in a restaurant pays off. 

The service and the food were all exceptional. I totally recommend it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment