Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Brisket




Brisket, for those that don't know, is one of the famous barbecue cuts of beef. It sits on the cow's chest; and because cows don't have collarbones, that cut supports about 60% of the cow's weight. Which is why brisket is full of fat and connective tissues, and needs to be cooked low and slow for a long time in order to render it delicious. (Which is why it's great for barbecue.)

When it's cooked properly, it's meltingly delicious. I had the good fortune to get some leftover (cooked) brisket from my restaurant this week. Even a day old and reheated in the microwave, it was amazing. I made a mushroom risotto with some of the mushrooms I got, too, and served it with some brisket pieces on top.

I've never actually cooked brisket myself (just eaten it), but I can say it's definitely worth it. I can also it goes smashingly with mushroom risotto.

No comments:

Post a Comment