Saturday, June 23, 2012

Update


There's not much excitement in my kitchen these days. No CSA, no fun summer fruits or vegetables, no new recipes really. Just the usual suspects: pizza, rice, beans, etc., as I try to use up whatever's in the pantry and in the freezer.

Complicating matters this week has been a 12-year-old boy, who will only eat the following vegetables: corn and carrots. Also iceberg lettuce if it's dripping with ranch dressing, but I don't count that as a vegetable. I've had to buy grapes and apples (the only fruits he'll eat), and dinner is predictably either a turkey sandwich (yellow mustard only) or pasta (after he scrapes all the tomato sauce off it). Do all parents go through this? I feel like holding him down and force-feeding him all the time.

Well, my brother was the same way, and he's still alive and not dying of scurvy. I'll make some cheese pizza today; that and the turkey sandwiches should carry everyone through the weekend. The adults have mainly been eating barbecue leftovers.

In a week we'll go visit my family and friends in Virginia, where I'm sure my mother will load me up with all the fresh garden produce my car can carry. We'll just hang on, eating sandwiches, till then.

In the meantime, I'll be posting some of my summer favorites. I won't be eating them, but you can. Have some for me while you're at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment