Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A trip to Acadia National Park, and the Apocalypse Now Burger



I took advantage of having two full days off--in a row!--by taking DH and visiting stepson to Acadia National Park in Maine.

I've always wanted to go, and even though it was cold and foggy (no view from Cadillac Mountain, boo), it was still gorgeous. We stayed in a Motel 6 in Bangor (the finest accommodation $56 could buy), found a movie theater with $3.50 tickets, and ate sandwiches out of the cooler--except for a stop at Nosh Kitchen Bar in Portland, ME.

There, I had the Apocalypse Now burger--a pork-and-beef burger topped with bacon, cheese, mayo, pork belly, AND foie gras. And had bacon-dusted fries.

It was delicious.

I wasn't hungry again for another 24 hours.

I drove through Maine on my road trip, back in 2009; I wasn't particularly impressed at the time, though I didn't stop anywhere. It's still not a place I would want to live, but Acadia National Park was beautiful, and rural Maine in the summer is beautiful as well (if you can overlook the advanced state of decrepitude many of the houses are in). And I've added another national park to my roster.

No comments:

Post a Comment