Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Cleaning out the perishables

Since we have to move in ten days, it becomes imperative to clean out what's left in the freezer/refrigerator. Made more difficult by the fact that they were full to begin with.

So here's what I've got in the freezer, and here are my options:
1 whole chicken: probably chicken salad (bonus points for using up some of the celery and mayo)
Frozen corn, frozen spinach, potatoes: corn chowder (bonus points for bacon and vegetable broth)
More frozen corn, frozen lima beans: more lima bean, corn and bacon succotash
4 lbs of Italian sausage: this will be harder to use up, since I typically only use a link or two at a time, for flavoring. I may leave this alone and see if it can survive cross-country in a cooler.
4 lbs of andouille sausage: ditto above.
3 boxes of puff pastry shells: harder since these are shells and not sheets. I may have to resort to a whole crapload of eggs benedict served on the shells, with frozen spinach, without hollandaise sauce (since I don't have enough eggs to go around).
13 bags of frozen peas: sigh. So far I've got peas and proscuitto; peas and feta (got a half-pound of feta that needs to go); and just peas. Ideas, anyone?
1/2 lb of parmesan and 1 pound of pecorino romano: see above re: sausages.
Several pounds of butter: ditto.
The rest of the frozen spinach: okay, now I'm done. My brain hurts.

I do have a block of mozzarella that'll need to be used up, so maybe I can make a couple of frozen spinach, feta and bacon (or proscuitto) pizzas. Which will also use up some of the parmesan. And maybe I can use some butter and the rest of the cream to make a nice alfredo something-or-other. (I've got a bunch of penne...)

This doesn't even begin to cover what I'll make to take with us for road food, but I can't think about that right now. I have enough to worry about with the packing.

So, dear readers, if you have any suggestions on how to use up all this stuff, and/or for good road food, let me know!

1 comment:

  1. I've been making a pea/pasta/pesto salad that is great to eat cold and you could eat it on the road. Use any pasta, as many peas as you can, cover with a light basil pesto (I cut it with more olive oil and vinegar), walnuts, and parmesan.

    ReplyDelete