Sunday, December 26, 2010

Cookbook review: A Geography of Oysters



A Geography of Oysters: The Connoisseur's Guide to Oyster Eating in North America isn't really a cookbook, it's a book about food. Which I guess I should really make a separate category for.

Anyway, if you like oysters (and have access to them, more importantly), this is a great book to read. I learned how oysters grow and reproduce, how they're harvested, where that only-eat-oysters-in-months-with-R-in-them rule came from, and why a good martini is a better pairing with oysters than wine. Also, the book goes into all the different varieties of oysters in the world. I'd gotten as far as East Coast oysters vs. West Coast oysters vs. Gulf oysters, but there are so many more than that.

It made me want to go out and eat some oysters.



No comments:

Post a Comment