Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Pita bread


This was my first time making homemade pita bread, but it definitely won't be my last.

It was actually really easy. The trick is to roll it really really thin, otherwise it won't puff.

2 teaspoons yeast
3 cups flour (I used one cup whole wheat flour and two cups bread flour)
2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon honey
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil

Proof the yeast (place in a bowl with the water, which should be very warm but not hot. Let sit until it bubbles). Add the rest, mix to form a ball, and knead for 10 minutes. The dough hook on your KitchenAid, on low, is genius here. Cover the dough, and let rise for two hours or so, until doubled.

Divide in 8 balls, and let the balls rise for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, place a pizza stone in the oven and preheat to 400. Roll the balls really really thin. I mean it. The thinner they are, the more they'll puff. If they don't puff, you haven't rolled them thin enough. Then place two or three rolled-out pitas on the stone, and let cook for 3-5 minutes, or until puffy. Repeat.

I served with the beet hummus from yesterday. But I'm also making more to use as road food.

No comments:

Post a Comment