Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Calamari



While I had my deep fryer going the other day, making fried pickles, I decided to make some calamari as well.

I had a 2 1/2 lb package of frozen calamari from Costco ($11.99). I used about half for the calamari.



I sliced the tubes into rings, and dried them well between paper towels.



For the breading, I mixed about a cup of breadcrumbs with salt and pepper (and other seasonings, if you want). In a separate bowl, I beat three eggs.



I dredged the rings in the egg wash, coated them with the breadcrumb mix, and laid them on a cookie sheet covered in wax paper.



I put that in the fridge for a couple of hours.

To fry, get your deep fryer going to about 365 with vegetable oil (use a covered fryer if at all possible, as squid will pop terribly). Fry a few at a time, about a minute per batch. More than that will make the squid rubbery, and nobody likes rubbery calamari.

I served with a Sriracha aioli (2 parts mayo to 1 part Sriracha).



Yet ANOTHER inspired use of my deep fryer.

No comments:

Post a Comment