Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Pan-grilled pork chops




Aren't those some beautiful pork chops? They're thanks to my new meat CSA, which I blogged about yesterday. I know you're thinking, "So, if this CSA is $100 a month, for three pickups those two pork chops basically cost you $33." True. But they were BIG. You can't really tell from the picture, but they were each two inches thick, and bigger than my outspread hand. And fresh, organic, free-range, 100% Berkshire heritage breed pork. You can't get that kind of quality meat shrinkwrapped at Kroger's. Look how glossy and pink they are!

Anyway, since I don't have a grill (even if I did, it was 7 degrees outside, with two feet of hardpacked snow on the ground), I decided to pan-grill them.

Heat your oven to maximum (probably 500 degrees) and put a cast-iron skillet in there. Rub a little olive oil on the chops, which should be at room temperature. When the skillet is smoking hot, throw the chops in there (you may have to do one at a time, depending on the size of your pan/chops) and return to the oven. Cook about 5-7 minutes per side, depending on the thickness of the chop. Serve with salt, pepper, and lemon wedges.

That's it! I served them with mushroom risotto and sauteed zucchini:



Makes your mouth water, doesn't it?



No comments:

Post a Comment