Saturday, January 15, 2011

Cookbook review: Forgotten Skills of Cooking



Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen is a great book, if you're into that sort of thing. A lot of people could care less on how to raise and slaughter chickens, or how to make sausages from scratch, or how to build a cold smoker. And that's cool. But I find that stuff fascinating, even though I have yet to make sausages and my husband gives me the stink-eye every time I mention chickens in the backyard.

There are plenty of great recipes for everyday cooks, as well. But one day I hope to be able to forage compentently for wild mushrooms, to make my own blackberry jam and duck confit and apple cider, to smoke my own bacon. I'm not there yet, but books like this remind me of that goal. It can't hurt to build a reference library ahead of time, right?



No comments:

Post a Comment