Saturday, July 9, 2011

Butterscotch pecan ice cream



OK, I know you're going to hate me for saying this, but the more I make my own ice cream, the more store-bought ice cream tastes like the bottom of a shoe. Flavors I never really liked in store-bought incarnations, I suddenly adore when I make them myself.

Case in point: butter pecan ice cream. This tastes SO much better than any pecan ice cream I ever had before. And note, please, this version is butterscotch pecan ice cream, thanks to the addition of a very tasty shot of scotch.

Also, I wouldn't judge you if you served it with a shot of scotch poured over top.

From David Lebovitz:

5 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream
3/4 cup milk
6 egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon scotch

Melt the butter in medium saucepan, stir in brown sugar and salt. Whisk in the milk and 1 cup of the cream. Once warmed, pour a little into the beaten egg yolks while whisking, then pour the eggs into the pan. Stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens and coats the spoon. Pour the remaining 1 cup cream into a bowl and set a mesh strainer on top. Pour the custard through the strainer, and add the vanilla and scotch. Cool completely.

Make in your ice cream maker; at the last minute, add these buttered pecans:

1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 cups pecan halves
salt

Melt the butter in a pan, remove from heat and toss the pecans with the butter until well-coated. Spread on a baking sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Let cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Our country ,50 years ago invented Hokey Pokey Icecream which is still not only my favourite but TOP1 for most Kiwi's.Creamy sweet vanila with crunchy caramel pieces.I also make my own(mostly fruit ) icecream and of course we all know ,nothing taste as good as home made.I am happy you discovered that and it looks awasome

    ReplyDelete