Saturday, July 2, 2011

Fennel frond pesto


Fennel fronds


Just so you know, I won't be posting any traditional 4th-of-July-type recipes. No burgers, no grilling, no potato salad. Why? Because I don't have a grill (or any burger meat on hand). We're going on vacation for a week later in the month, and I'm not buying any groceries between now and then. First, to save our money for vacationing; and second, to clean out the fridge a bit before we go.

So, with that in mind, there are going to be a lot of CSA-based recipes between now and then. Starting with this one: fennel frond pesto.

I don't really like fennel. In fact, I don't like anything in the fennel/anise/licorice family. I've tried, believe me. But I got a bulb of fennel in this week's CSA box, so I'll try a few new things with it. Maybe something will stick.

Fennel fronds are the dill-looking stuff coming out of the bulb. The bulb is the part you actually eat.

Other things you can do with fennel fronds:
  • Use as a base (or garnish) for roasted/grilled fish.
  • Make an infused oil.
  • Substitute for dill in recipes.
  • Stuff them all inside a roasted chicken (or fish).
Fennel frond pesto:

Fronds from one bulb of fennel
2 garlic cloves, peeled
2 tablespoons pine nuts
salt and pepper
2-4 tablespoons parmesan
4 tablespoons olive oil

Whizz everything except the oil in the food processor until it becomes a paste; add the oil in a slow stream until it looks like pesto. Adjust to taste.

I'll use this pesto on a pizza later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment