Monday, January 16, 2012

Crab bread pudding



I got this recipe from the latest issue of Food and Wine, but I adapted it right away. I used canned crab instead of fresh (didn't have any fresh, couldn't afford any, already had the canned), and I threw in a few extras. The day before, my husband made me an omelet with sundried tomatoes, parsley, feta cheese, red onion, and capers, and he chopped too much stuff--there was about a cup of that combination left over. So I threw that in, too. Quite honestly, I think more of that combination would be quite tasty.

3 cans crabmeat, drained
Chopped fresh parsley and chives
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Pinch of cayenne
1 stick butter, softened
1 baguette or loaf of homemade bread, slightly stale, sliced
4 large eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup half and half
Optional: diced sundried tomatoes, red onion, feta cheese, capers

Butter a 9 x 13 dish. In a bowl, combine the crab with the parsley, chives, lemon juice and cayenne, plus sundried tomatoes etc., and season with salt and pepper. Butter each slice of bread and stand up in the 9 x 13 dish. Tuck the crab mixture between each slice.

Whisk the eggs with milk and half and half, seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour over the bread and let stand for 10 minutes. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes, and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

It's really good--crabby and eggy and bready all at the same time, a rich and decadent breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment