Monday, January 23, 2012

Winter salad with barley, watercress, mushrooms and roasted beets


Now that I don't have access to a winter CSA, and I'm not in the habit (or budget) of regular grocery shopping, it can be difficult to get green things. I'm also not interested in flabby, wax-covered supermarket greens that have been shipped halfway across the world from God-knows-where; I'd much rather go to the farmer's market and get fresh local green things, but alas, the farmer's market was snowed out this past weekend.

So I went to Whole Foods instead.

Still a supermarket, but at least I could get cage-free eggs and local fruit there. I got eggs, apples, and hey, look! Watercress was on sale. Probably not local, but I had an instant craving for it.

I picked up some button mushrooms too and threw together this wonderful winter salad. It's just cooked warm barley, sauteed warm mushrooms, and roasted sliced beets (I had white beets) with the raw watercress. The warm vegetables cook the watercress down just a little, which is nice. Sprinkle liberally with salt, and you've got your winter greens craving taken care of for a bit.

1 cup uncooked barley, cooked in water (bring to a boil, then let simmer) until done, and drained
2 bunches watercress, large stems removed
3 roasted, peeled and sliced beets
1 container button mushrooms, sliced

Saute the sliced mushrooms in a little butter until browned. Combine all in a bowl, salt and pepper to taste, and serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment