Thursday, January 12, 2012

Venison chili


As part of my Christmas haul, my mother gave me some venison (the scraps--suitable for stews only). But venison chili is a fine thing. In fact, my cat has decided that venison chili is his new favorite as well, because I caught him eating some last night when my back was turned. And trust me, this is a fiery chili.

Red beans (the equivalent of six cans' worth, if you're using dried and pre-cooking them like I do)
1 onion, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 carrots, diced
1 lb venison stew meat, cubed
2 cans tomato sauce
Broth
Seasonings: 2 bay leaves, chili powder, paprika, red chili flakes, cumin, salt and pepper

Saute the veggies in olive oil until soft, then add the stew meat. Let that cook for a couple of minutes, and add the beans, tomato sauce, and enough broth (I used turkey broth) to float the whole thing. Let simmer for an hour or so, then add the seasonings. Let simmer for another half-hour to let the flavors meld, add salt to taste, remove the bay leaves, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment