Friday, February 26, 2010

Glazed carrots


I participate in a CSA (community-supported agriculture), which means I pay $177 every three months to an organic farm, and every other week I get a huge Rubbermaid bin full of organic fruits and veggies. (Which works out to $29.50 per box--not bad for a Rubbermaid bin full of organic fruits and veggies.) In the last box, for example, I got two heads of lettuce, kale, broccoli, a bunch of beets, a bunch of carrots, a bunch of leeks, 12 oranges, 4 apples, 3 boxes of strawberries, a bag of peas, and a couple other things I can't remember off the top of my head.

So, the carrots. A big bunch of lovely purple-and-yellow carrots, fresh out of the dirt. I cut off the tops (carrot greens can substitute for parsley in most dishes) and decided to make glazed carrots for dinner last night. Glazed carrots being merely a delivery system for a sugar, butter and Grand Marnier sauce, you understand. I peeled the carrots roughly (that accounts for the wonderful technicolor look to them) and started the glaze.

Melt around 3-4 tablespoons of butter in a skillet and add a couple tablespoons of sugar. Stir this around until it incorporates and starts to look vaguely syrupy. Add 1/3 cup or so of chicken broth and a healthy dollop of Grand Marnier. Add the carrots and stir occasionally, until the sauce has cooked down and started to coat the carrots.

No comments:

Post a Comment