Monday, February 1, 2010

Three kinds of salsa

After I started making fresh salsa, I couldn't go back to canned. It tastes like chemicals to me. (Which it is.) Granted, sometimes it's hard to have fresh ingredients on hand every time I want salsa. I have fallback recipes--bean dip, spinach and artichoke dip--for those times. But if you have the ingredients, the taste is incomparable. And it only takes a couple of minutes to whip up.

The base ingredients are chopped onion (red or regular, as you prefer), chopped and seeded jalapeno, cilantro, and lime juice--all fresh, of course. To this base, you can add chopped tomatoes, mango or peach, for tomato, mango or peach salsa. Of course, you can extrapolate further. I've made pineapple, canteloupe and cucumber salsa as well, although with lighter ingredients like canteloupe or cucumber you may want to substitute mint for the cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment