Sunday, April 4, 2010

Escargots


I didn't start cooking to eat better or save money (although those are very, very important components). I really got into cooking because I love eating in fancy restaurants. Love, love, love. But my salary does not support such a habit very often (really, at all), so I started trying to recreate at home what I was eating in those restaurants. Now, at least half the time, my own cooking is better than what I get in restaurants. Cheaper, too. And I can eat it in my pajamas.

So I decided to celebrate my recent day off with escargots. I love escargots, but we all know that escargots are really just a garlic butter delivery system. Turns out that holds true at home, as well. I know no one out there is saying, "Finally! A use for that can of escargots in the back of the pantry!" so I'll skip the recipe. What's really important here is the sauce, as follows: a stick of softened butter in a stand mixer; beat in two minced garlic cloves and half a minced shallot, fresh parsley, a little salt and fresh pepper, and a tablespoon or so of white wine. Place in an oven-proof dish and heat until melted and bubbly. Soak it up with fresh bread and a good Chardonnay. Listen to some Edith Piaf and pretend you're in France.

A good butter sauce beats any dip or cheese ball all to hell.

No comments:

Post a Comment