Sunday, April 18, 2010

Roasted cauliflower pizza

Yet more proof of my theory that anything is good on pizza.

Here's what I did, in order: whole wheat crust. Olive oil. Ricotta. Caramelized onions. A little pre-cooked Italian sausage. Roasted cauliflower (two heads chopped, with olive oil, in a 400-degree oven for about 10-15 minutes). A few leaves of sauteed swiss chard. A sprinkling of fresh herbs. Mozzarella. Parmesan. Bake. Sea salt and freshly ground pepper. Serve with a good chenin blanc.

And wow. Until now it would never have occurred to me to put cauliflower on pizza, but why not? It was really good. Certainly it was a tastier, and more inventive, use of cauliflower than just eating it raw with ranch dip, or boiling it into oblivion (the two most popular, and least tasty, American uses of cauliflower). The pizza (two pizzas, actually) didn't take long to put together and were infinitely more satisfying than anything I've ever had delivered. Veggie pizza = win.

1 comment:

  1. I have enjoyed reading your blog. Love the recipes and wine suggstions. My daughter, Melinda Wilson suggested I subscribe. You may be the next Julia Child. I taught school in Carlsbad California from 1966-1970. Loved the area and enjoy your comments about moving to the San Diego area. Best of Luck

    ReplyDelete