Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cilantro pesto


I recently found myself in possession of three bunches of cilantro.  Normally I would take that opportunity to whip up a few batches of salsa or guacamole, but I didn't have any chips (and have no plans to procure any, since we're trying to cut back on non-fruit snacking). So I decided to use it all up at once by making a batch of cilantro pesto.

2 big bunches of cilantro, stems and all
3 or 4 big peeled cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
juice of one big lemon
1/4 cup or so of olive oil, enough to emulsify

Throw the first four into a food processor and whiz, slowly adding the olive oil until it's a sauce. Easy-peasy.

I used the cilantro pesto as a pizza base last night, and that ROCKED. Whole-wheat crust with olive oil, a thin smear of ricotta cheese, a lot of cilantro pesto, with caramelized onions, roasted butternut squash, wild boar bacon, a few slices of a yellow heirloom tomato, fresh sage, and parmesan. THAT was a pizza. Although admittedly, grilled shrimp would have been better.

No comments:

Post a Comment