Thursday, July 22, 2010

Corn and black bean pizza with pepper jack cheese


Last night I made a corn and black bean pizza with pepper jack cheese, on a whole wheat pizza crust. If you're using my recipe for pizza crust, just substitute up to 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour and/or rye flour. I like to use bread flour for the other 1 1/2 - 2 cups of flour the recipe calls for, it has more gluten than all-purpose flour and therefore keeps the whole wheat from drying everything out, but all-purpose will work fine as well.

When I make pizza, I generally start the dough as soon as I get home from work, to give it time to rise. Then I make myself a Manhattan:


(That step is strictly optional.)

When the dough has risen sufficiently, I assemble the pizza. For the corn and black bean pizza, I layered, in order:

Olive oil
Barbecue sauce
Shredded mozzarella
Two handfuls of pre-cooked black beans (canned would work too)
Two handfuls of frozen corn
Shredded pepper jack cheese
A tablespoon or so of dried red chili flakes

And baked at 450 for 15-20 minutes. Yum! If I'd had it, some fresh pico de gallo on top of the finished product would have been really good.

Cost: Minimal. Everything was purchased in bulk, including the yeast in the dough, except for the whole wheat flour. The beans were dried, which I pre-prepared by soaking overnight and then cooking in my crockpot. Maybe 30 cents of ingredients in the crust, another 50 cents for the beans and frozen corn, another 75 cents for the two handfuls of cheese. I made the barbecue sauce myself. Let's say $1.75 total, which produced two pizzas--dinner for two adults, plus two lunches today, at 44 cents per serving.

(That doesn't include the Manhattan.)

No comments:

Post a Comment