Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Carrot cake


Mmmm, carrot cake.

And because it has carrots in it, it's healthy! (That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

I used The Pioneer Woman's carrot cake recipe for this, because she's my hero. She took a blog about cooking and her wacky life and turned into a media empire. Which I'll do one day, never fear. I'm putting the final touches on the Broke Foodie Cookbook as we speak!

Anyway, the carrot cake. See PW's link for the actual recipe, but it's your basic standard carrot cake. Grated carrots, flour, sugar, vegetable oil, cream cheese frosting. PW put pecans in her cream cheese frosting, but I left them out.


Mmmmm, cream cheese frosting.

I think the icing costs more than the actual cake here. The cake ingredients were all bulk purchased (flour, sugar, eggs, carrots, etc.; cost estimation maybe $1.20); the icing calls for a package of cream cheese ($1.50), a stick of butter ($1) and a pound of confectionary sugar ($1). So $3.50 for the frosting, but only a little over a dollar for the cake itself.

But you can't have carrot cake without cream cheese frosting.

I'm going to go have another piece for breakfast right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment