Saturday, February 5, 2011

Gratin Dauphinois


...which is really just a fancy way of saying scalloped potatoes, or potatoes au gratin. It's finely sliced potatoes with cream and cheese, baked until oooey-gooey-delicious.

Note: I used the slicer blade for my food processor for this. I can't imagine why I don't use it more. If you have one, I highly recommend using it for slicing potatoes. (If they don't fit down the feeding tube, just cut them in half lengthwise.) I didn't even peel them first. Prepping 8 potatoes for this dish therefore took roughly 45 seconds.

I also used big red-skinned potatoes, but really any kind of potato will work.

3 cups heavy cream
6-8 potatoes, very thinly sliced
salt and pepper
1-2 cups grated Gruyere or Comte cheese
chives or scallions for garnish, optional

Bring 2 cups of the cream up to a simmer in a big saucepan. Add the potatoes and cook for 3 minutes. The cream will start to thicken slightly. Dump into a big casserole dish, add plenty of salt and pepper, add teh rest of the cream, and sprinkle the cheese all over the top. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes or so, until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is bubbly. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle chives or scallions on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment