Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Spice-brined pecans

I adapted this recipe for spice-brined pecans from Food52.

2 cups of raw pecan halves
2 teaspoons of sea salt
½ of a cinnamon stick, broken into 3 or 4 pieces
½ teaspoon ground mace
3 whole cloves
2 pieces of orange peel, each 1” x 3” (I used tangerine peel)
  1. Combine 1 ½ cups of boiling water in a glass or ceramic bowl with all of the other ingredients except the pecan halves. Cool to lukewarm, then stir well.
  2. Add the nuts and allow them to soak for 6-8 hours.
  3. Preheat oven to 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
  4. With a slotted spoon, remove the pecans from the brining liquid and spread them on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Remove the whole spices and the orange peel.
  5. Roast for 10-12 hours, stirring occasionally.
  6. Enjoy!
Notes: my oven only went down to 170, and I was doing this during the week. So my pecans sat in the brine for the better part of a day, then I roasted them in two spurts, one night for five hours and the next night for five hours (I left them in the oven the whole time).

And they were still delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment