Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ham and bean soup


For the second week of my meat CSA, I got four handmade Italian sausages and...this.

They claim this is ham. But this doesn't look like any kind of ham I've ever seen.

Nevertheless, it was definitely pork, so I decided to throw it into a soup and call it a day.

1 onion, chopped
3-4 cloves of garlic, chopped
3 stalks of celery, chopped
2 big carrots, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped

Saute all that in some olive oil until the veggies are soft. Add to it:

4-5 cups of soaked, pre-cooked white beans
1 cup chopped ham, or some other sort of pork product
enough broth to float the whole thing
a bay leaf

Let that cook down for a while, then add seasonings: Italian, cumin, salt and pepper. I threw in a head of kale, chopped, as well, since I had it. But that's strictly optional.

A good, cheap, all-purpose (if uninspiring) soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment